Saturday, December 13, 2008

Pediatrician After Hours.....

Thank goodness for after hours pediatricians office! I know I will see this place again in the future, but I hope it is a long time into the future. After my post last night I went to check in on Audrey and she sounded really bad. I go to change her diaper and I notice she is breathing hard using her stomach and I could see her ribs through her skin. Her pediatrician warned me that this could happen and if it did to bring her back in. Well... it happened after hours..... what do I do? So I call the nurse hot line and she tells me to go the after hours clinic. I'm beginning to panic. I get to the clinic and the nurse comes out to check on how serious Audrey is. After listening to her she tells me to go on back... in front of others waiting. It turns out that Audrey did get worse over the course of the day, but she her oxygen level in her blood was a great number so no problem there. The nurse then suctioned Audrey's nose out and got everything clear. It was easier for her to do it then me. I hate when Audrey cries and thrashes around. Super nurse didn't mind one bit. She just pinned her down and suctioned away! So I have had to be a little more tough on Audrey with the suctioning. It seems to be helping. She was a little dehydrated so she gets fed a lot more. She used to drink water pretty well, but now she won't. Not sure why. So until she clears up she will sleep in her car seat and stay upright as much as possible. I'll keep everyone posted!

2 comments:

Leigh said...

You did great! Don't worry about not being able to hold them down. It's so hard with the first one, and when they're so tiny and cute. With the next kid or just as she gets older you'll toughen up...and they can take it. It's so hard to hear them cry...it still tears me apart when Gavin cries. You're not the only one.... : )

Luke, Kristen and Pierce said...

Hey - you can always bring her over and let me suction her. I love doing that! Weird, I know. But I consider myself an expert now. :)