Friday, September 14, 2007

Next time......Move the ladder!

In my last blog (or the blog before last) I told everyone that Bryan and I were painting our front room. We started Wednesday night and things went pretty well. The paint is a dark color and it is going to take several coats to cover the walls. That isn't the point of this blog, but I thought I would share it anyway. So I am painting the crown molding and then we start on the walls. Everything went fine and we went to bed around 10:30 or so. The next morning I woke up and pain was shooting through my neck and left shoulder. I could barley turn my head or wash my hair. Any movement from my left arm was pretty painful. So I am wracking my brain trying to figure out if I slept wrong, fell, or did anything that could explain why my shoulder and neck were giving me problems. I didn't even think about the painting because I have painted the kitchen, bathroom and hallway and never experienced this before. So Bryan points out that it might have had something to do with the fact that I painted the walls normally, but the crown molding......not so normally. Apparently I got tired of moving the ladder so for the last little bit of crown molding I started using my left hand to paint, but my head was angled to the side and my body was turned at an odd angle so that I could reach. I'm grateful that I didn't topple the ladder over because I was reaching REALLY far. Picture me standing on the ladder anchoring my right hand on the ladder and stretching as far as I could. I was definitely abusing the ladder guidelines. So my left arm was using muscles that hadn't been used ever and the way I had my body and necked turned did not coordinate with my body's alignment. End result? Pain yesterday, today and probably tomorrow. Did I let it stop me from painting last night? NO!! Although in hindsight, I probably should have. So tonight, no painting. I am taking the night off to give my body a rest and next time (if ever I paint crown molding again) I'll move the ladder!

I have to say though that I really liked the color we picked. It's darker then I thought, but I love it just the same. I had that rush of "oh no!, this is not the color I wanted" when I first slapped the paint on the walls, but I kept going. I can't wait to show the pictures. I have some taken, but you could see alot of spots where it needed a second and maybe even a third (I hope not) coat of paint.
Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Yvette said...

It seems paint colors and painting pains plague Johnson women. I still have to select a color for the dining room. Wish you the best on your project.
Yvette