Friday, May 29, 2009

Big News......

I've got some big news... big news for me anyways. After many long drawn out conversations with me and God (and my sweet husband too!), I have decided to resign my job. Actually, I already resigned earlier this morning. It was by far the hardest decision I have made in a long time. When I was younger I never saw myself as a stay at home mom. I worked hard through college and worked even harder at my jobs and I was fortunate to find a career I truly loved (Human Resources) and was good at - my yearly evaluations say so. My life changed in so many ways when Audrey was born. I wrestled with whether or not I should return to work after my maternity leave was over. Returning to work after Audrey was the last hardest decision I have ever made. I did and was always at an unrest. I knew Audrey was safe. I never questioned her safety, but after she turned 6 months I realized I was missing some milestones for her. She would come home and have learned something new. This made me sad. I didn't teach her that. Of course the next morning she would throw a huge fit and I was grateful she was going to daycare! I have always wondered in the back of my head if I made the right decision to return to work. There is only one way to find out.....resign. Which I already did - can you tell a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders?
There are also other factors at play. I have reached the ceiling at my job and there is no growth opportunity for me until my boss resigns (in 10-15 years - sorry, not sticking around that long) and since my new boss came ( about 1 1/2 years ago) I have reverted back to what I was doing when I started in 2004. There is also the distance from the house to work and back again. 33 miles one way in heavy traffic. I just don't have enough time with Audrey. Alot of people have asked me why I don't find a job closer to home. After carefully considering this, I decided that I would still always wrestle if I should stay home or not. This way, I can give my job a good notice (5 weeks), go on vacation, plan Audrey's 1st b-day and then take 2-3 months and give staying home a TRUE shot. If I don't like it...... off to work I go. No harm, no foul!
So that is my big news. Thanks for all the prayers friends!
Oh and to my other SAHM's - we have a pool and I am going to need adult conversation - so come on over!

7 comments:

Jill said...

You will love it!! best decision we ever made!

Leslie said...

So excited for your decision! We are totally here for you and to keep you sane when you have crazy days at home. :)
We support whatever you decide works best for you, B and Audrey!

The Kings said...

Welcome to the club! We would love to hang out w/ you and A!

The Mills Gang said...

Good for you! So happy to hear you are staying home--you will love it! We are waiting on the phone call to invite us over!! :)

Mandi said...

So glad you're able to give it a shot. You never know til you try it, right?? I hope you love it. At least you're already a step ahead - you KNOW you're gonna need adult conversation!! lol

AW said...

Jess, this is great news! So happy for you.

Aunt Jan said...

Be thankful that you made the decision before she's old enough to debate the merits of having you home versus the time she'd lose to your commute and office hours. I've been home with Seth since last August (thank you Merrill Lynch) and life is GOOD! I can't imagine how we'd have handled the stress of the last couple of months and Todd's travel schedule if I was still working 10+ hours a day.

It's not always easy, and not always fun, but it's absolutely, positively the best thing for our family right now. I hope it's the same for you. I just wish we were closer so I could give you a Mommy's Day Out from time to time.