Sunday, May 17, 2009

What's that sound?

Now for the big tragic event that happened last weekend. Most of you actually know, but here is the story. A couple of Fridays ago I was lucky enough to get into bed by 10:30 pm (this is unheard of for me--way too early). I was so tired. B was up finishing up some stuff and then he was going to come to bed. I grab a book and I hear him start the water to wash Audrey's bottles (isn't he sweet?). I read a couple of chapters in my book and set it down, turn out the lights and get some much needed sleep. B is still washing the bottles. What? Audrey doesn't have that many bottles... what is he doing? So I go into the kitchen and all the lights are off. I walk to the office and he is sitting at the computer working. I asked him if he washed the bottles and he said no, he would do it tomorrow. I ask him what the water is that I hear running and he says it is probably the toilet and to just go in and jiggle the handle. OK. So I walk down the hall to the guest bathroom and SQUISH! My foot sinks into very wet carpet. Ohhh.. so that was what that sound was (I knew I had heard the sound before, but couldn't place it)... our water heater died... all over our carpet, Audrey's room and laundry room. At 10:30 pm.
I had heard the same sound at my parent's old house 12 years before, but that was a long time ago... no wonder I couldn't place it now!
Anyway, I go in and tell B that he could now get the tankless water heater he has always wanted. Huh?, was his response. I then tell him to grab some towels b/c the water heater has just busted. That got a response that was more appropriate! Anyway, 2 hours later B tells me to go to bed and he will finish up and tomorrow start the repairs and everything else we need to do. Good news is, by Sunday we had a brand new water heater installed (correctly) by my super smart and handy husband with a little help from his little brother (also smart and handy). Insurance claim has been made, damaged assessed, waiting on response to said damages. Enjoy the pictures!



damage to the hallway



Audrey's room.. took a big hit b/c it is right behind the closet where the water heater was.


Installing new water heater


welding (or maybe sweating) some pipe thingy.


3 comments:

The Kings said...

That stinks! So sorry. Did B get his tankless water heater?

The Johnson Junket said...

Nope. Apparently you have to have additional plumbing and other stuff done and we didn't have the luxury of waiting to do all that, so he got a bigger hot water heater. All is good!

TeamBortzfield said...

Ours died a watery death two years ago. We had the same tankless plumbing problem so we have the same old tanker. I hope your insurance experience is better than ours. At least we have all new floors now. (it flooded the whole house 2 in)